The Midwest Leadership Board is seeking nominations for the elected position of President‐Elect, Secretary/Treasurer-Elect, Membership-Elect, Associate Member, and Chair-elect for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The board’s primary focus is planning the regional meeting and building SGIM leadership. The qualifications for candidacy primarily include a history of participation in SGIM activities at the regional level. We seek to identify candidates from various institutions in the Midwest region. The duties of this office are as follows:
- President‐Elect: Serving a three-year term, the President‐Elect will participate in regional officer activities, which include serving on the Regional Meeting Planning Committee and engaging in other relevant activities within Midwest SGIM. In the subsequent role as President, they will be responsible for annual regional activities, including the planning and execution of the regional meeting. They will also become a member of the Board of Regional Leaders, a national committee working on issues and initiatives across the SGIM regions. The President may elect to appoint a Meeting Chairperson to assist with the planning and execution of the annual regional meeting as needed. During their third year in the role of Past‐President, they serve as Chair of the Leadership Nominating Committee and advisor to regional activities.
- Secretary/Treasurer‐Elect: During their two-year term, the Secretary/Treasurer will assist with the organization of the Midwest SGIM Regional Meeting. Their responsibilities include monitoring Midwest SGIM finances (with a report at the regional meeting), keeping accurate records of monthly conference calls, and acting as a liaison with other regional organizations.
- Membership Chair-Elect: Holding a two-year term, the Membership Chair-Elect will lead efforts to promote SGIM membership in the region, primarily through institutional outreach. This includes serving as a representative on the national Membership Committee. They will strategize and implement ways to promote SGIM and focus on active membership recruitment at the regional meeting, and recruit planning committee volunteers for various roles (awards, leadership, review chairs, etc.).
- Associate Member: The Associate Member, a trainee position for either a resident or fellow, involves a two-year commitment. This role encompasses planning the regional meeting, devising strategies to enhance SGIM’s appeal to associate members, including medical students, and participating in planning sub-committees such as the Mentoring Program.
- Chair-elect for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI): The DEI Chair, serving a one-year term, will collaborate with regional and national SGIM leadership to spearhead DEI and anti-racism initiatives. Responsibilities include collaborating with the Regional Membership Chair to expand membership outreach and developing programming for the Regional Meeting that focuses on DEI. This may include incorporating DEI in the judging rubric, diversifying the judging pool, and creating DEI-related workshops and awards. The Chair’s other creative ideas are welcome in this new position. Commitment involves attending one-hour monthly regional planning meetings, potentially several meetings with other Regional DEI chairs, and additional work between meetings as determined by the initiatives selected for implementation.
Note: All nominees for the above positions must be, or become, members of SGIM.