The Society of General Internal Medicine is committed to protecting the privacy of its members and customers. This document describes the information we collect from our web sites and digital products and how we use it.
Information collected when you visit SGIM websites or digital products
When you view pages and graphics on our web sites, the following information is recorded in a log file:
● The time and date of your request
● The internet address of your computer
● The browser and operating system you are using
● The page which you are viewing
● The previous page that you visited (the referrer)
How do we use your information?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
1. To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
2. To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you)
3. To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs)
4. To send periodic emails - The email address you provide may be used to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
SGIM maintains a membership database independent of its web operations. The information in this database is drawn from membership applications, dues payment forms, event registrations and other transactions between the Society and its members. Using this database, the Society occasionally shares our mailing list (name, title, institution, address) with a small number of carefully selected outside parties so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. You may instruct the Society not to share your personal information by contacting us at the addresses listed below.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
What is the opt-out policy for SGIM websites?
SGIM provides members and non-members the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us and our partners. If you no longer wish to receive specific communications or services, you have the following options:
● You can send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
● You can send mail to the following postal address: SGIM, 1500 King Street, Suite 303, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314
● You can call the following telephone numbers: +1-800-822-3060 or 202-887-5150.
● Instructions for opting out of any SGIM email newsletter you receive are included with each email.
Society of General Internal Medicine
1500 King Street, Suite 303
Alexandria, VA 22314